Thursday, April 14, 2011

First post - for a future of code

This is my first post on this blog. It will follow my adventures in trying to identify what truly is beautiful about coding. I'am beginning a job in software engineering at Schneider-Electric(Square-d) at the end of August 2011 and have been coding since I can remember. My quest is to find what is truly beautiful in code and find a more beautiful way to write solid, clean, and manageable code.

It appears that writing beautiful code hasn't always been my goal but rather "getting the job done" has been something I've done in the past. (As any fellow college student should admit too.) This however shouldn't be any software engineers goal when it comes to writing truly solid code.

After spending a year interning with Schneider-Electric before finishing my last semester in college I found that much of the software I worked on to be riddled with indwelling problems(like any software) and even contest to several frustrating days behind a keyboard. It wasn't that the software was all bad but that there was such a mess of code that it often left me feeling of unrest. Often times I could just feel the sheer instability and fickleness of a system that truly marks a non-solid system by just using the software itself. This leads me to believe that there must be patterns in software and principles that must allow for truly beautiful code and create solid applications. This is the purpose of the blog and for the search to better the products by defining what is truly beautiful and what just isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment